- This event has passed.
Call for Applications: Professor of Islam in Contemporary Society, University of Vienna
At the Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies of the University of Vienna in cooperation with the Faculty of Social Sciences the position of a University Professor of Islam in Contemporary Society (full time, permanent position) is to be filled.
Candidates are expected to represent the field of “Islam in Contemporary Society” at the Department of Islamic Theological Studies. In their research, teaching and interaction with societal stakeholders and the general public the successful candidate adopts an approach that reflects the plurality of manifestations of Islam and focuses in particular on the specificity of Islamic identities in Europe and the role of Islam inside European societies. They will frame this specificity through a viable and sustainable theological discourse that is open to, and fruitful for, interreligious dialogue.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
– Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
– Habilitation (venia docendi) in a subject field relevant to this position or an internationally accepted equivalent qualification is desirable
– Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation
– Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups
– Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues.
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees. In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be prepared to take responsibility on the organisational level of the Faculty and the University, if necessary.
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply!
The extended deadline for application is April 14, 2020 to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For inquiries, please contact the Chairman of the Selection Committee, Prof. Dr. Ebrahim Afsah at email@example.com