- This event has passed.
Position opening: Assistant Director for Research, The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University, April 1, 2022
April 1, 2022
The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University invites
applications from scholars of the modern Middle East for the position of
Assistant Director for Research. This is a full-time residential position.
The Assistant Director for Research will be a core member of the Crown
Center’s senior research team and will work under the supervision of the
Director for Research to set and implement the Center’s research agenda and
manage its publications, primarily the Middle East Brief series and Crown
For full consideration, please submit the following materials:
– Cover letter and C.V.
– An unpublished writing sample of no more than 25 pages (this could
include dissertation/book manuscript chapters, articles, opinion pieces)
– Two names and emails of references
Duties and Responsibilities include:
– Management of Crown Publications: The candidate will be responsible
for the successful and timely management of the Crown Center’s
publications, which consists of a minimum of 8 Middle East Briefs and 4
Crown Conversations per year. Responsibilities include working with authors
to shape and hone their arguments, content editing, and acting as liaison
with the production team, primarily the Assistant Director and Copy Editor,
in consultation with the Director for Research.
– Mentoring and coordinating with Crown Center fellows including, but
not limited to, professional development, the fellows’ participation in the
annual scholars workshop, annual board retreat, and crafting and shaping
their Middle East Briefs and Crown Conversations.
– Assistance to the Director for Research in the shaping and
implementing the Center’s research agenda, including organizing research
seminars and workshops, funding proposals, networking, and recruitment of
fellows and researchers.
– Conducting original research on the modern Middle East and maintaining
an active scholarly profile (defined broadly).
– A PhD in any field of modern Middle East Studies, plus 1-3 years of
demonstrated academic and research experience in Middle Eastern Studies
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
– Excellent editing skills
– Superior organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple
projects and tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner
– Reading knowledge of Turkish, Arabic, or Persian is preferred.
Compensation: Salary range is $79,000–$94,000, commensurate with
experience, plus a $3,000 annual research budget
Application Submission: All application materials must be submitted here:
Applications for the first round of interviews are *due April 1*, and
applications may be considered until April 15.
Inquiries: You may direct inquiries to Kristina Cherniahivsky at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781-736-5320.