On Islamic Law:
- In “Kosher and Halal Slaughtering Before the Court of Justice: A Case of Religious Intolerance?” (European Public Law (January 2022)), Arie Reich (Bar-Ilan University) and Guy Harpaz (Hebrew University of Jerusalem) argue that, in upholding a Flemish ban on Islamic and Jewish animal slaughter practices, the Court of Justice of the EU not only misinterpreted EU regulations but also compromised the religious freedoms of European minorities.
- In “Extraterritoriality and Legal Belonging in the Nineteenth-Century Mediterranean” (Law and History Review (2021)), Jessica M. Marglin (University of Southern California) “examines the intersection between extraterritoriality — privileges afforded to European subjects in the Islamic Mediterranean — and various forms of state membership.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Influence of Experiential Marketing on Customer Loyalty in Shariah-Compliant Hotel” (Journal of Indonesian Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation 3 no. 2 (2021)), Didin Samsudin (SMKN 1 Cipanas) and Fajar Kusnadi Kusumah Putra (Sekolah Tinggi Pariwisata Bandung) discuss their survey results which show that “experiential marketing was statistically significant (R2 = 0.677) as a predictor variable of customer loyalty in Sharia-compliant hotels.”
- In “AI’s Islamophobia Problem” (Vox.com, September 18, 2021), Sigal Samuel (Vox) discusses the research conducted by Stanford scientists, which found that artificial intelligence repeated impoverished notions of Islam when asked to pair certain information and contexts with Muslims.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Egyptian University Union Digital Library is a digital library that allows access to some items in the Egyptian libraries as well as theses.
- National Library of the Kingdom of Morocco is the digital library of Morrocan National Library.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- 2021 MESA Annual Meeting on November 29 – December 3, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Ties of Kinship and the Early Islamic Empire. Deadline: 6-8 December 2021.
- Conference: Maqāṣid and Ethics: Foundations, Approaches, and Applied Fields on December 6-8, 2021, Doha, Qatar.
- Discussion: “Law, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Culture” by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Ulrich Haarmann Memorial Lecture: “Kitchen culture in 13th-century Syria: Archaeological and Botanical Perspectives on Dietary Choices, Garbage Disposal, and Health” by Bethany Walker (Bonn) and Alan Farahani (Berkeley), Annemarie Schimmel Kolleg on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor, History of the Islamic World The Department of History at Central Connecticut State University. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.