On Islamic Law:
- Taliban: The Power of Militant Islam in Afghanistan and Beyond (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2022) by Ahmed Rashid investigates the origins and development of the Taliban movement in Afghanistan.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
- In Early Islam in Medina: Malik and His Muwaṭṭaʾ (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2021), Yasin Dutton (Oxford Center for Islamic Studies) “considers the transmission of the Sunna through the lens of the great Madinan legal scholar, Imam Malik ibn Anas (d. 179 AH/795 CE), in his renowned book al-Muwatta’.”
For more content and context on Imām Mālik’s Muwatta’, with a focus on its English translation based on the Royal Moroccan Edition, consult our “Muwatta’ Roundtable.”
- In International Law and the War with Islamic State: Challenges for Jus ad Bellum and Jus in Bello (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2021), Saeed Bagheri (University of Reading) “looks at the aim of Islamic State to create an effective government, with an economically independent regime, which focused on key oilfields in Syria and Iraq” as well as the legality of the war on the Islamic State from an international law perspective.
- In “Banning the F Banning the Full-Face Veil: Freedom of Religion and Non-Discrimination in the Human Rights Committee and the European Court of Human Rights” (Harvard Human Rights Journal 34 (2021)), Sarah H. Cleveland (Columbia Law School) explores “the relationship between claims of violations of the right to manifest one’s religion as a result of a generally applicable law or policy, and claims of indirect discrimination on grounds of religion.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- The 2022 edition of the Muslim 500 has recently been published. The report surveys “the world’s 500 most influential Muslims.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Allah’s Word “originally started out as just a site to download Qur’an with [an] [E]nglish translation. As it grew more and more popular, [it] began adding more and more Islamic content at the request of users to bring the site to where it is today.”
- Balagha hosts a small collection of Islamic texts translated into English.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Senior Preceptor in Digital History, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Deadline: January 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: PIL–LC Research Fellowship Application, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Fellowship Applications: The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Lehigh University, History Department Lawrence Henry Gipson Chair in Transnational History. Deadline: January 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Middle East Studies Association 2022 Panels. Deadline: January 10, 2022.
- Position opening: University Professor of Islamic Studies (Classical Islam), the Free University of Berlin. Deadline: January 20, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.