On Islamic Law:
- In “Why taking action on climate change is an Islamic obligation” (Wisconsin Muslim Journal, November 16, 2021), editors of the Wisconsin Muslim Journal argue that “the possibility of environmental protection can also be covered by the Islamic concept of jihad, especially for individual Muslims and Muslim organizations.”
- In “Al-Shāfiʿī Against the Kufan School” (Islamic Law and Society, September 30, 2021), Christopher Melchert (University of Oxford) discusses Shāfi’ī’s Ikhtilāf ʿAlī wa-ʿAbd Allāh ibn Masʿūd (“the disagreements of ʿAlī and ʿAbd Allāh ibn Masʿūd”), elaborating that the book’s “argument tends to imply that al-Shāfiʿī’s doctrine is better than the Kufans’ because it is eclectically based on the learning of all centers, suggesting that loyalty to a regional tradition was becoming an embarrassment.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Pew: Most Muslims Want Both Democracy and Islam in Political Life,” (Wilson Center), editors at the Wilson Center, using quantitative data from the Pew Research Center, discuss Muslim’s opinions regarding Islam and its place in political life.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Qatar University Digital Repository provides “digital access to Qatar University’s original research, scholarly works, administrative and archive of historical materials.”
- Islam Web is a digital library of Islamic materials.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Discussion: “Law, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Culture” by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.