ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad issued a decree that expanded the jurisdiction of Syria’s Council of Islamic Jurisprudence.
- According to a recently-issued decree, civil marriage by non-Muslims have now been allowed in Abu Dhabi.
- Financial experts have urged Muslim countries to “develop common regulatory, financial, and religious frameworks to capitalize on the global boom in cryptocurrencies.”
- A Senate committee in Pakistan rejected a constitutional amendment proposal that would have declared the right of women in inheritance as a fundamental right.
- Pakistan dropped plans to introduce chemical castration as a penalty against serial rape crimes, after concerns were raised about the procedure’s compatibility with sharī’a.
- The Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia stated that marriages through syndicate could be considered invalid from an Islamic law perspective.
- Following a fatwā against its compatibility with Islamic law, some in Indonesia have focused on workarounds to cryptocurrency trading, including the notion of trading them as commodities or digital assets with less certainty involved in the process, which would make it sharī’a-compliant to some.
- Afghanistan‘s Minister for Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice recently insisted that separating men and women in public spaces is an Islamic value.
- The Los Angeles Times curated a collection of female voices from Afghanistan, which the editors describe as being “scared, but defiant.”
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Saudi Arabia continues to develop its domestically-produced vaccination, SaudiVax, which commentators described will be “permitted under Islamic law.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Submissions Deadline: 2022 Global Meeting on Law & Society. Deadline: November 22, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Discussion: “Law, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Culture” by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor, History of the Islamic World The Department of History at Central Connecticut State University. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.