ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Two of the three men accused and convicted of killing Malcolm X in 1965 have been exonerated. For content and context on Islamic law, including a mention of Malcolm X, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Methods and Meaning in Islamic Law: Introduction.”
- A few senators in Nigeria have refused to support a bill on sex equality, asserting that the notion of equality “infringes on the Quran.”
- 2022 will mark the 1,100th anniversary of Islam in Russia, with Tatarstan planning to host more than 70 events to celebrate the occasion.
- The Taliban‘s spokesperson in Doha recently stated: “We believe that our religion commands us that women have the right to work.”
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Imām Ahmed Alamine, a religious leader from Indianapolis, recently stated that COVID vaccines were permissible under Islamic dietary law, commenting: “Islam does allow to use something that is normally forbidden – use it as a medication.”
- A Muslim religious leader from Lehigh Valley, Imām Mohammad Elshinawy, recently stated that Islam allows COVID vaccines under its no harm principle, adding: “In simplest terms, we do encourage people to take the vaccines.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Call for Applications: PIL–LC Research Fellowship Application, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Fellowship Applications: The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor, History of the Islamic World The Department of History at Central Connecticut State University. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Lehigh University, History Department Lawrence Henry Gipson Chair in Transnational History. Deadline: January 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.