On Islamic Law:
- In “Why we need to reform sharia—now” (Prospect, November 1, 2021), Mustafa Akyol (Cato Institute) argues that the Taliban’s return to power “calls for an honest discussion about how to divorce Islamic law from coercive power.”
- In Oceanic Islam: Muslim Universalism and European Imperialism (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2020), Sugata Bose (Harvard University) and Ayesha Jalal (Tufts University) find that Islam as practiced in the Oceanic region “is at variance with contemporary conceptions of Islam as an illiberal religion that breeds intolerance and terrorism.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Impact of Taqwa (Islamic Piety) on Organizational Commitment in Pakistan: The Role of Happiness” (SSRN, October 15, 2021), Hafiz Muhammad Farrukh Tahir and Danish Ahmed Siddiqui (Karachi University Business School) conduct “a survey using a close-ended questionnaire” and find that “Islamic spirituality brings Islamic social responsibility jointly called taqwa.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Ahmet Tunalilar is a Turkish-language website dedicated to fatwās and other books on Islam and Islamic law.
- Gezginler, literally “travelers” in Turkish, is a website dedicated to various digitized texts in Turkish, including a section on Islam.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Conference: Harvard Graduate Student Conference on International History, Harvard University, Spring 2022. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- AALS Islamic Law Webinar with Simonetta Calderini – Women as Imams on November 12, 2021.
- Webinar: Finding an Academic Job during the Pandemic, Association for Iranian Studies on November 12, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.