ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- In an opinion piece for Insider, Hafsa Lodi made the case for “Islamic feminism,” stating that Islam “profoundly improved the status and legal rights of women in 7th Century Arabia, and the Prophet Muhammad was Islam’s ‘first feminist.'”
- Sana Khan, a former Indian actress, explained to journalists her recent efforts to promote ḥalāl make up products.
- A UN special envoy has recently met with Taliban officials to discuss Islamic law implementation as well as women’s rights.
- The Taliban announced that it has established, on the commands of its supreme leader Hebatullah Akhundzada, a military tribunal that will implement Islamic law in adjudicating matters involving Taliban officials, police personnel and intelligence operatives.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- The Nation of Islam announced that it has reopened mosques in Brooklyn and Harlem, adding that all COVID-19 protocols would be in effect.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Seminar: “Being and Becoming Islamic: Traditions from the Islamic East” by Teren Sevea, Harvard University, on November 16, 2021.
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Discussion: “Law, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Culture” by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.