On Islamic Law:
- In “Implementation of International Human Rights in Pakistan: Finding a Balance between Western Conceptions and Islamic Law” (Manchester Journal of Transnational Islamic Law & Practice 17, no. 1 (2021)), Sana Khan argues that Pakistan’s relative failure to implement human rights standards it has adopted in its constitution and through several international treaties is because of its failure to reconceptualize human rights from an Islamic law-compliant perspective.
- In “Permissibility of Surrogacy in Islamic Law” (SSRN, November 18, 2021), Shrabana Chatterjee argues on the issue of surrogacy that “none of the arguments given by the modern scholars against the legal validity of surrogate motherhood are sound,” asserting instead that there is no absolute prohibition against surrogacy under Islamic law.
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Forced Marriage: Law and Practice in Pakistan” (SSRN, February 23, 2021), Sania Islam (Women University Swabi) discusses a survey result from Pakistan that shows that “4.1 per cent of indigenous women were obliged to marryÂ and 4.8 percent were sold.”Â
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Obeikan Digital LibraryÂ is a digital library of purchasable Arabic language pdfs.
- Al al-Bayt Library is a digital library associated with Syed Sistani.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Submissions Deadline: 2022 Global Meeting on Law & Society. Deadline: November 22, 2021.
- 2021 MESA Annual Meeting on November 29 â€“ December 3, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Discussion: â€œLaw, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Cultureâ€ by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: â€œLiterary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,â€ Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor, History of the Islamic World The Department of History at Central Connecticut State University. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 â€“ June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: â€œThe Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,â€ Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 â€“ August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.