ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- A new book titled Female Religious Authority in Shi’i Islam, which brings together contributions that “reflect on the roles that women have played in exercising religious authority across time and space” in Shī’ī Islam, has recently been published.
- The UAE issued its first civil law marriage certificate to a non-Muslim couple, after the country announced in November that it would start allowing non-Muslim marriages.
- Bahrain recently hosted a conference entitled “Religious Discourse and its Role in Enhancing Intellectual Security and Achieving Societal Stability” where more than 280 religious leaders agreed that “coexistence is one of the purposes of Islamic law that must be preserved.”
- Saudi Arabia has relaxed Christmas and New Year celebrations in 2021, despite many scholars in the country deeming such celebrations contrary to Islamic law.
- A survey has found that nearly 40% of Afghanistan‘s media has disappeared under the Taliban, who have issued a set of rules on journalism that includes the Islamic principle of “enjoying good and forbidding wrong.”
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- A new study on COVID-19 and Islamic perspectives has found that “[i]n Muslim-majority countries, Islamic jurisprudence, which places great importance on sanctity and safety of human life and protection of livelihoods, may influence vaccine uptake.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Senior Preceptor in Digital History, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Deadline: January 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: PIL–LC Research Fellowship Application, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Fellowship Applications: The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Lehigh University, History Department Lawrence Henry Gipson Chair in Transnational History. Deadline: January 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Middle East Studies Association 2022 Panels. Deadline: January 10, 2022.
- Position opening: University Professor of Islamic Studies (Classical Islam), the Free University of Berlin. Deadline: January 20, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.