On Islamic Law:
- In “Religious Courts” (in the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law), Tanja Herklotz (Humboldt University) explores the concept of religious courts, including sharī’a courts, which she defines as “state or non-state dispute settlement fora that base their decisions on religion-based material and procedural laws and whose judges are typically members of the particular religious community whose laws the courts apply.”
- In “Divorce for Lack of Sustenance” (Lexology, March 15, 2022), Islam Al-Bayed (Alhababi law firm) discusses a particular reason for divorce, lack of sustenance, under Qatari family law.
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “A Study of Islamic Social Banking, Case Study of Sepah Bank” (Islamic Finance Research), Mohammad Reza Yazdanpanah and others, using data “collected from a sample of 91 heads and deputies of Sepah Bank and former Ansar Bank branches in Shiraz,” “show to what extent the banking system in Iran is consistent with the principles of Islamic-social banking. “
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Alfiqh.net is a website dedicated to fiqh texts from Saudi state-sponsored sources.
- Jordanian Fatwa Database is a database of fatwās produced online by the Jordanian Fatwā Council.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: Data Science Fellow, Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- 12th Annual Donald C. Clark Jr. Endowed Law and Religion Lecture: Adnan A. Zulfiqar & Ngugi wa Thiong’o, March 25, 2022.
- Talk: “Malcolm X, Islam and the Souls of Black Folk” by Dr. Zain Abdullah, Temple University, March 25, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director for Research, The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University. Deadline: April 1, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Lecture on Comparative Law: “Metacanons: Comparative Textualism at SCOTUS and in Islamic Law” by Intisar Rabb, UC Berkeley Law, April 13, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.