On Islamic Law:
- In Familial Undercurrents: Untold Stories of Love and Marriage in Modern Iran (Duke University Press, 2022), Afsaneh Najmabadi (Harvard University) “uncovers her family’s complex experiences of polygamous marriage to tell a larger story of the transformations of notions of love, marriage, and family life in mid-twentieth-century Iran.”
- Sohaib Baig (UCLA) reviews (Islamic Law & Society, March 31, 2022) SherAli Tareen‘s (Franklin & Marshall College) Defending Muhammad in Modernity (Notre Dame Press, 2020).
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Entrepreneurship Education Based on Islamic Work Ethic: Educational Management Review” (Al-Tanzim 6, no. 1 (2022)) Supriyanto Supriyanto (Universitas Islam Negeri Raden Intan Lampung, Indonesia) and others, using data gathered from interviews and observations, document the “Islamic work ethic in the patchwork community in Pringsewu Regency.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Yamli is “allows users to type in English characters and get the Arabic character output.” It helpfully provides a list of possibilities to disambiguate texts that can have more than one Arabic transliteration.
- Arabic to Latin Converter provides “a romanization or transliteration tool” to help convert a text from Arabic to Latin characters.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Postdoc opportunity: Islamic history and culture, University of Bergen. Deadline is May 22, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Formation, Establishment, and Evolution of the Mālikī Madhhab, University of Laussane, June 4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.