On Islamic Law
- In “Freedom of religion and places of worship during Covid-19” (South African Journal on Human Rights (December 19, 2022)), Waheeda Amien (University of Cape Town) “considers the justifiable extent to which freedom of religion may be limited within the context of a global pandemic.”
- “King Abdulaziz Public Library has revealed a 400-year-old manuscript that highlights the importance of coffee in Arabic culture. The library shared the document with the public for the first time as part of the celebrations for the 2022 Year of Saudi Coffee.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Utilization Of Google Class Room In Islamic Religious Education Subjects At Smp Rahmat Islamiyah Medan” (International Journal Reglement & Society 3, no. 2 (2022)), Hasrian Rudi Setiawan and Mayurida Mayurida, using “interviews, observation and documentation studies,” document how the use of Google Clasroom can be integrated into the teaching of Islam and Islamic law.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamic Studies: Law (Shar’iah) is a “Research Guide [that] provides access to resources at Marquette Libraries and on the Internet about the Islam and the Mideast.”
- Islamic Studies: Electronic Journals is a “Research Guide for students working in the field of Islamic Studies.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Professor of Persian Literature and Cultures, Harvard University, January 6, 2023.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Workshop TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies), January 15, 2023.
- The Abdallah S. Kamel Center at the Yale Law School Fellowship, 2023-2024, January 31, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.