ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- The Islamic Finance Market 2022 report has recently been published and predicts substantial growth in the Islamic financial market by 2030.
- The global takaful market, a type of Islamic insurance, has been estimated to grow from $24.85 billion to $97.17 in 2030.
- The Westbury Arts Museum (New York) has partnered with the Islamic Center of Long Island to curate an exhibition of artifacts relating to Islamic culture and faith.
- Millions of Muslims have observed (and some are observing) the Āshūrāʾ, which is the tenth day of the month of Muḥarram, a time of fasting, and additionally for many Shī’ī Muslims, a time of mourning.
- Ghana‘s Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia has stirred a religious debate in his country after commenting on the status of Jesus in Islam and in the Qur’ān, stating that Muslims like Christians believed Jesus is the savior and is expected to return to this world.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- “Muslims from around Wales have joined others from across the UK for the first time since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic at the UK’s longest running Islamic convention.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.