On Islamic Law:
- In The Palestinian Constitutional Court : an assessment of its independence under the emergency regime (Cambridge University Press, 2022), Osayd Awawda (Hebron University) “assesses the legal and practical independence of the Palestinian Constitutional Court since the coup in July 2007 that brought the Fatah regime to power in the West Bank.”
- In Mary in the Qur’an: Friend of God, Virgin, Mother (University of Chicago Press, 2022), Muna Tatari (University of Paderborn) and Klaus von Stosch (Bonn University) “reconstruct the picture of Mary that is presented in the Qur’an and show how veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Roman Catholic Church intersects and interacts with the testimony of the Qur’an.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Big Data Analysis and Data Visualization to Help Make a Decision – Islamic Banks Case Study” (International Conference on Business and Technology 2022), Mohammad H. Allaymoun (Gulf University, Bahrain) and others “examine the big data analysis cycle for five Islamic banks’ data in the 2019/2020 era.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- The Center for Research Libraries has released the open access digital collection of Middle Eastern & North African Newspapers. Collection content is predominantly in Arabic, and also includes key titles in English and French. The database covers the years 1876-2021 and will be updated periodically.
- National Emergency Library: The Internet Archive, a non-profit founded to build an Internet library, has created a National Emergency Library that supports emergency remote teaching, research activities, and scholarship with over 1.3 million titles.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Karamah: Virtual Law and Leadership Summer Program 2022, July 14 – August 7, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.