ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- FTSE Russell and IdealRatings have collaborated to develop the Islamic Index Series – an index measuring the performance of global Islamic equities and securities.
- Pundits have argued that Islamic social finance could help deliver the United Nations goals on sustainable development.
- “Controversy has continued to trail the marriage of a forty-seven–year-old man, Alhaji Musa Tsafe, with his granddaughter, Hajiya Wasila Isah” in a Nigerian province where Islamic law prohibits such marriages.
- Tunisia voted on a new constitution, which, unlike many of its counterparts in the Muslim-majority world, removes mention of Islam as the religion of the state, but instead provides that “Tunisia is part of the Islamic nation.”
- “The Greek Education Ministry brought to parliament a new framework for Greece’s muftis that will increase the Islamic clerics’ independence and prestige in society, minority rights website Azınlıkça reported on Friday.”
- Experts have reported that a massive generational wealth transfer is happening in Muslim-majority countries, in accordance with Islamic inheritance law, and sometimes through more innovative means of estate planning.
- In his throne speech this year, King Mohammed VI of Morocco stated: “As the Commander of the Faithful, I pointed out before Parliament in 2003, when introducing the Moudawana, or Family Law, that I shall not make licit that which the Almighty has forbidden, nor shall I forbid that which He has authorized, particularly when it comes to matters governed by unequivocal Quranic prescriptions.”
- Dr. Mohamed Bin Ali, Vice-Chairman and counsellor with the Religious Rehabilitation Group (RRG), a voluntary organization that counters radicalization and extremism in Singapore, commented on their efforts, through Islamic counsellors, to “correct […] detainees’ mindsets.”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- “A controversial Indonesian Muslim cleric, Rizieq Shihab, was released from prison on parole on Wednesday, just over a year after being sentenced and earlier than expected, a government official confirmed.” The cleric had been imprisoned for violating lockdown restrictions.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Karamah: Virtual Law and Leadership Summer Program 2022, July 14 – August 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.