ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- The Supreme Court of Pakistan recently held that a woman’s right to be “maintained,” that is, to be provided by her husband with resources adequate for her to maintain her standards of living, is absolute under Islamic law, as long as the wife remains “faithful and discharges hew own matrimonial obligations.”
- Pundits have observed that the Taliban‘s insistence on restricting women’s access to education based on their own interpretation of Islamic law is jeopardizing global aid Afghans need. For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- The High Court in Malaysia recently granted leave to a single mother to lodge a complaint “as she seeks a declaration that her former husband was legally unfit to convert their children to Islam.”
- A new law enacted in West Sumatra Province in Indonesia “states that the customs of the Minangkabau, the largest ethnic group in West Sumatra Province, are based on the philosophical values of ‘Shariah law, and Shariah is based on the Quran.'”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- “After a very long awaited two years, the Ahmadiyyah Muslim Community held its first Muslim convention after COVID-19.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color, September 1, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.