On Islamic Law:
- “The renowned scholar Syed Abul Ala Maududi, in a joint gathering of Sh[ī’ī] and Sunn[ī] people, delivered a speech in Urdu on the topic of [the martyrdom of] Imam Hussain (RA). It was later published in July 1960 in Tarjuman ul Quran,” which has now been translated into English by Ali Abbas.
- In Journeys Toward Gender Equality in Islam (Oneworld Academic, 2022), Ziba-Mir Hosseini (Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Law, SOAS) “explores how egalitarian gender laws might be constructed from within the Islamic legal framework.”
- Islamic Divorce in the Twenty-First Century (Rutgers University Press, 2022), edited by Erin E. Stiles (University of Nevada) and Ayang Utriza Yakin (Catholic University of Louvain), “shows the wide range of Muslim experiences in marital disputes and in seeking Islamic divorces.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “The Use of Ihtiyat Data in Prayer Time Hisab: Perspectives on Islamic Law” (Ulul Albab: Jurnal Studi dan Penelitian Hukum Islam 5, no. 2 (2022)), Sayful Mujab (Institut Agama Islam Negeri Kudus) and Muslich Shabir (Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo Semarang) discuss the issue of how to accurately determine daily prayer times under Islamic ritual law.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- GoogleBooks is a common go-to search engine for searches that point to myriad Islam-related books, with links to both full-text books (all books out of copyright) and partial-snippets (all books in copyright).
- Nothing in the Rulebook, a creative collective, has compiled a list of 45 databases offering free, legal, downloads of classic texts, contemporary books, plays, and more. The digest includes works by famous writers, and features big databases, such as “Project Gutenburg,” with books related to Islam and Islamic law.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color, September 1, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.