ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- An Islamic scholar, Irshad Ahmed Ijaz, stated at an Islamic seminar held in Pakistan that digital currencies should not be considered fictitious, but rather legitimate currencies amenable to regulation, according to Islamic law.
- Islamic scholars have urged Muslims to raise awareness to stop Russian hostilities in Ukraine, with one scholar, Haitham Al-Haddad, stating that “Muslims should acknowledge that they are responsible towards any injustice that takes place in the world, as they are appointed by Allah to ensure that justice prevails on the planet.”
- The College of Islamic Studies (CIS) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) in Qatar hosted a group of French judges to educate them on “Law in Shari’a and Islam.”
- Commenting on the issue of “unilateral [religious] conversions,” where one parent converts their children to Islam, usually at the objection of the co-parent, former Minister of Justice of Malaysia, Nazri Aziz, stated: “As a Muslim, I am not proud of this. For me, Islam is about being fair. And it’s not fair if one of the parents changes the religion of their child without the other parent’s permission.”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Arkansas Online reported that some health workers in Arkansas have claimed religious exemptions from the vaccine mandate, including some Muslim workers who invoked “the sanctity of life” as a reason to claim the exemption.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Webinar: “The Making of an Islamic City-State: Genealogy, Religion and Sovereignty in Nasrid Granada” by Mohamad Ballan, Harvard University, March 7, 2022.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series: Prof. Issam Eido, Program in Islamic Law, March 8, 2022.
- Webinar: “Another Commercial Revolution? The Case of Fatimid Egypt” by Lorenzo Bondioli, Harvard University, March 9, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Data Science Fellow, Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Hedi Viterbo, Associate Professor of Law, March 11, 2022.
- Social Media Internship Opportunity: The Muslim Women’s Giving Circle (MWGC). Deadline: March 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Staff Attorney, The Center for Constitutional Rights. Deadline: March 18, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.