On Islamic Law:
- In “Islam and Business Ethics” (Encyclopedia of Business and Professional Ethics (forthcoming)) AK Aldohni (University of New Castle (Australia)) “explores some of the key Islamic concepts in the context of business.”
- In “Legislative Role Of Sources Of Islamic Law In Modern Islamic State: A Pakistani Perspective” (Webology 19, no. 1 (2022)), Aatir Rizvi (Government College University, Lahore) and others discuss the importance of the traditional sources of Islamic law “when it comes to legislation and/ or interpretation of different laws in Pakistan.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Legal Professions in the Muslim World: Between Social Transformation, Judicial Control, and Feminisation” (in Lawyers in 21st-Century Societies: Comparisons and Theories, eds., Rick Abel, Ole Hammerslev, Hillary Sommerlad, and Ulrike Schultz, Oxford: Hart, 2022), Mirjam Künkler (Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study) “examines the state of the legal profession and its professional organizations in recent years,” basing her information on “primary data provided by bar association officials and lawyers from around the Muslim world.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Durham University Library of Oriental Manuscripts brings together “[a] miscellaneous group of documents originally collected by Durham University Oriental Library.”
- Islamic Painted Page “covers examples of the painted page dating from about 700 to 1900 CE from all over the Islamic world.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Position opening: Visual Resources Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library, July 8, 2022.
- 13th Ulrich Haarmann Memorial Lecture Online: “Tanzīh and the Methodology of Ḥadīth Censorship in Shihāb al-Dīn al-Qasṭallānī’s (d. 923/1517) Irshād al-sārī” by Miriam Ovadia, July 14, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.