ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Following the Taliban‘s rise to power, many law students and lawyers from Afghanistan have reported that “[i]t is not the application of Islamic criminal law that frightens [them], it is that it is applied without due process.”
- Haroun Rahimi, a self-exiled Afghan who was a professor of law at Kabul University, noted that “the Taliban’s enforcement of their criminal laws and their resolution of private disputes are a mixture of the Hanafi school and also of tribal codes, or a local cultural understanding.”
- The Taliban announced that it planned to adopt parts of the 1964 Constitution of Afghanistan.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Qatar, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, recently commented that Qatar is a good example for Afghanistan to emulate in terms of implementing an Islamic constitution, and that the Taliban should not mistreat women under sharī’a.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- In response to protests against coronavirus restrictions in New Zealand, Michelle Berriman, executive director of the Fundraising Institute, New Zealand’s professional body for fundraisers and charities, urged vaccine hesitant New Zealanders to “follow the lead of […] Muslim communities who have all devoted themselves and their resources to helping both their own and all other people in need.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Medieval Islamic History, Harvard University, July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 15, 2021.
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Arabic Pasts: Histories and Historiographies, Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, October 7-8, 2021.
- Conference: “Adjudicating Gender-Based Persecution At The ICC & Beyond: A Monumental Step And The Challenges That Lie Ahead,” Northumbria University, October 7-8, 2021.
- Position opening: Research Associate-Fixed Term, Department of History, Michigan State University. Deadline: Review of applications will start on October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Classical Islam, Brandeis University, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies. Deadline: Preference will be given to applications received by October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor Specializing in Middle Eastern or North African History, University of Dayton, Ohio, History. Deadline: October 18, 2021.
- Call for Applications: Research Associate – PersDoc Project, Oxford University. Deadline: October 22, 2021.
- Call for Papers: “The X Islamic Legal Studies Conference,”International Society of Islamic Legal Studies (ISILS), London, May 19-21, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Legal Histories of Empire, Maynooth University, June 29 – July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor – Historian of Early Islam until 1250, University of Chicago, Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.