On Islamic Law:
- In “Petitioning the Sultan: Protests and Justice in Late Ottoman Sultan” (Bloomsbury 2021), Yuval Ben-Bassat (University of Haifa) discusses the institution of petitioning the Ottoman sultan, specifically Abdulhamid II, as a legal remedy in Ottoman Palestine.
- Abhishek Gupta (Indian Law Institute) discusses Indian Muslims’ demand for interest-free Islamic banking in “‘Banking’ in the Name of ‘Faith’: A Legal Perspective of Islamic Banking in India” (Nirma University Law Journal 10, no. 1 (December 2020).
- In “Mainstreaming the Headscarf: Islamist Politics and Women in the Turkish Media” (Bloomsbury 2021), Esra Ozcan (Tulane University) investigates “conservative gender politics” under the AKP government “through the lens of images of women’s headscarves in secular and Islamic news media after 2002.”
- In “The Words of the Imams: Al-Shaykh Al-Saduq and the Development of Shi’i Hadith Literature” (Bloomsbury 2021), George Warner (Ruhr-Universitaet Bohum, German) sheds light on the life and works of Ibn Babawayh, the author of Man lā Yaḥḍuruhu al-Faqīh – one of the four canonical books of Shī’ī Islam.
- Gabriella Gimigliano investigates to what extent sharī’a-compliant bonds can provide financial systems with sustainability within the European Union in “Sharia-compliant bonds and the EU law: a more sustainable financial system? A legal standpoint” (University of Oslo Faculty of Law Research Paper No. 2021-16).
On Islam and Data Science:
- Aang Kunaifi (Islamic Institute of Al-Khairat, Pamekasan, Indonesia) et al. discuss the viability of an Islamic economic model by reference to data from the IMF, the World Bank, and the Central Bureau of Statistics, concluding that such a model, in light of the “ideal conditions recorded in the golden history of Islam,” is possible, in “The Philosophy and Authentication of Welfare Equalization in the Islamic Economy” (Jurnal Kajian Peradaban Islam 4, no. 2 (2021)).
- In “Covid-19 and Islamic Education in School: Searching for Alternative Learning Media” (Webology 18, no. 1 (April 2021)), Herman Zaini (Universitas Islam Negeri Raden Fatah Palembang, Indonesia) et al. survey 275 “teachers of Islamic [e]ducation,” to demonstrate how teachers have utilized a variety of platforms to teach and reach out to their students during the pandemic, including WhatsApp, YouTube, Edmodo, and others.
- On October 22, 2021, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Al Akhawayn University, Morocco will be hosting an online webinar titled “Three Moons, Water Buffalo Skins, & Digital Codicology: Snapshots of Ibadi Muslim Manuscript Cultures in North Africa.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- The French National Library contains a voluminous digitized collection, including materials on Islam and Islamic law.
- Nashr Ehsan contains books in Farsi on various Islamic topics
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Medieval Islamic History, Harvard University, July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 15, 2021.
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Arabic Pasts: Histories and Historiographies, Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, October 7-8, 2021.
- Conference: “Adjudicating Gender-Based Persecution At The ICC & Beyond: A Monumental Step And The Challenges That Lie Ahead,” Northumbria University, October 7-8, 2021.
- Position opening: Research Associate-Fixed Term, Department of History, Michigan State University. Deadline: Review of applications will start on October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Classical Islam, Brandeis University, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies. Deadline: Preference will be given to applications received by October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor Specializing in Middle Eastern or North African History, University of Dayton, Ohio, History. Deadline: October 18, 2021.
- Call for Applications: Research Associate – PersDoc Project, Oxford University. Deadline: October 22, 2021.
- Call for Papers: “The X Islamic Legal Studies Conference,”International Society of Islamic Legal Studies (ISILS), London, May 19-21, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Legal Histories of Empire, Maynooth University, June 29 – July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor – Historian of Early Islam until 1250, University of Chicago, Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.