On Islamic Law:
- In “Children Right – Do the Conventional Law and Islamic Law have the same Approach? (CRC1989 versus Islamic Law)” (Rahat-ul-Quloob 6, no. 1 (2022)), Dr. Usman Rafiq (International Islamic University, Islamabad) and Dr. Lutfullah (University of Swat) argue that Islamic law’s approach to children’s rights, in comparison to the regime created by the Convention on the Right of the Child, “is very much comprehensive and realistic in nature.”
- In “Joseph Schacht’s Concept of Right in Islamic Law: An Analysis” (AL-IDAH 40, no. 1 (2022)), Sohail Khan (International Islamic University, Islamabad) and Habib Ur Rehman (International Islamic University, Islamabad) critically analyze Joseph Schacht’s contention that Islamic law was a phenomenon that post-dated the Qur’ān and the Prophet.
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Understanding of Islamic banking financial management in the context of global economic competition” (Linguistics and Culture Review 6 (2022)), Novi Puji Lestari (Universitas Muhammadiyah Malang, Indonesia) and others conclude that “Islamic banking financial governance in the context of a globally competitive economy is an exciting issue for the parties because the world today is questioned by the failure of the conventional capitalist economy in contributing solutions to the world community.”
- In “Regulation and consumer protection of fintech in Indonesia” (Linguistics and Culture Review 6 (2022)), Afif Noor (Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo, Semarang, Indonesia) and others “aim to find and analyze the regulation and protection of Islamic fintech lending consumers in Indonesian laws and regulations.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Minhaj Books “present[s] the teachings, ideology and thoughts of Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri to the knowledgeable sections of society and general public in the form of digital library. Here you can search for reliable material on different topics and can easily find material in order to present cogent answers against allegations raised against Islam and the person of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).”
- Best Urdu Books is a website with a large collection of Urdu and Arabic texts, including the entire Dars-e-Nizami curriculum divided by year.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Senior Preceptor in Digital History, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Deadline: January 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: PIL–LC Research Fellowship Application, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Fellowship Applications: The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: University Professor of Islamic Studies (Classical Islam), the Free University of Berlin. Deadline: January 20, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.