ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- The United States Supreme Court declined to review Hoda Muthana‘s petition seeking to reenter the United States, after her passport was revoked for leaving the country to join the Islamic State in 2014.
- Some experts in the UAE legal system expressed their hesitancy regarding the recent legal overhaul that relaxed many of the country’s criminal laws, commenting that “we may not know until two or three years from now whether there’s been real change.”
- A woman in Indonesia‘s Aceh region was flogged 100 times for committing adultery, while her male partner, who denied all accusations, received 15 lashes.
- Chief Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, rejecting the rights abuses claims made by Human Rights Watch, commented that Afghan women would soon be allowed to rejoin schools and universities “in line with Islamic law and teachings.”
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Iraq recently adopted travel policies for incoming travelers that require proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of arrival, noting that the policies would also apply to pilgrims, “most of whom are Iranians visiting some of the holiest sites in [Shī’ī] Islam.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Senior Preceptor in Digital History, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Deadline: January 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: PIL–LC Research Fellowship Application, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Fellowship Applications: The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: University Professor of Islamic Studies (Classical Islam), the Free University of Berlin. Deadline: January 20, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.