On Islamic Law:
- In “Paying Moms to Breastfeed in Medieval Europe” (JSTOR Daily, June 6, 2022), Livia Gershon writes that “medieval Islamic law viewed nursing and raising young children as a job for which a divorced or separated woman should be paid a salary.”
- In “Islamic Finance” (Lexology, June 16, 2022), Munib Hussain (Milbank LLP) discusses the basic terminology relating to Islamic finance, with a focus on why and how interest, uncertainty, speculation, and gambling are prohibited.
- In “Ibn Ḥazm on Heteronomous Imperatives. A Landmark in the History of the Logical Analysis of Norms” (in Agency, Norms, Inquiry, and Artifacts: Essays in Honor of Risto Hilpinen (Paul McNamara, Andrew J. I. Jones, and Mark A. Brown eds.)), Shahid Rahman (Lille University), Farid Zidani (Alger II University) and Walter Edward Young (McGill University) argue that Ibn Hazm’s “defence of logic has lasting consequences for the logic of norms.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- The Muslim 500, for their Science & Technology 2022 Edition, have compiled a list of most influential Muslims working in science and technology.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Egyptian National Archives Catalogue has a searchable catalogue of manuscripts as well as maps, coins, and printed books within the national archive.
- West African Arabic Manuscript Database is “a bilingual database that was developed at the University of Illinois in the late 1980s to describe a collection of Arabic manuscripts in southern Mauritania (Boutilimit). It subsequently has been used to compile a union catalogue of other West African collections, including manuscript libraries in West Africa, Europe and the United States.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Summer School 2022: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World. Deadline is June 17, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Webinar: “Turning Arab: Identity and Islam in the Middle Eastern countryside, 1000 – 1500” by Yossef Rapoport, University of Bonn, June 27, 2022.
- AMECYS Book Award Announcement (copyright 2020, 2021), June 30, 2022.
- Prize: Biennial Prize for Best Dissertation, Middle East Medievalists (MEM), June 30, 2022.
- Position opening: Visual Resources Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library, July 8, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.