On Islamic Law
- “The book, ‘Pana’ta: Sara Parmanusiyaan Liyubangsa Ha Islam (Introduction to International Humanitarian Law in Islam),’ was launched in Zamboanga City on Feb. 22, 2023 by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and Mindanao State University (MSU)-Sulu, which partnered to produce the book’s translation into Tausug, a major language spoken in the Sulu archipelago and in Zamboanga.”
- In “The Forbidden Prostration: A Translation Of An Urdu Jurisprudential Work On Sajda Taʿẓīmī” (Muslim Matters, February 27, 2023), Imad Jafar provides a translated portion of Aḥmad Riżā Khān’s al-Zubda al-zakiyya fī tiḥrīm sujūd al-taḥiyya.
- In “Liquidated Damages for Late/Non-Compliance with an Arbitration Award – Dealing with the Prohibition of Riba Under Shari’Ah in Awarding Post-Award Interest in International Arbitration” (TDM 6 (2022)), Shahab Jafari and Elahe Jahangard (University of Tehran) “discuss the impact of the prohibition of Riba (interest) under Shari’ah on the ability of dispute settlement body (in particular an arbitral tribunal) to award post-award interest and on the enforcement of such awards in those Islamic countries that their legal systems are strongly influenced by principles of Shari’ah.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Islamic Banks and Its Role in Reducing Poverty” (Journal of Economic, Management, Accounting and Technology 6, no. 1 (2023)), Pungky Lela Saputri and Muhammad Faisal Yul Zamrudi (Universitas Islam Sultan Agung), relying on timeseries data, “analyze the effect of financing disbursed by Islamic banks on reducing the poverty rate in Indonesia.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Religion and Mythology: Islam provides a list of primary source archives and databases relating to Islam.
- The Documents of Islamic Law by Hypotheses “proposes a new research field, the comparative study of Arabic legal documents preserved from the premodern Islamic world. “
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Steve Howard, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, March 10, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Haroun Rahimi (The American University of Afghanistan), “Taliban and Modernity,” Harvard Law School, March 21, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Abdulatif Finch, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, March 24, 2023.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Data Science Fellowships, 2023-2024, March 31, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Cheikh Anta Mbacke Babou, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, March 31, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Elizabeth Lhost (University of Wisconsin–Madison), Everyday Islamic Law and the Making of Modern South Asia, Harvard Law School, April 4, 2023.
- Seminar: “The Rule of Recognition and the Consolidation of the Maliki Madhhab in the 14th Century” by Mohammad Fadel, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 6, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Caitlyn Bolton, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 7, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Undergraduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Ayodeji Ogunnaike, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Zekeria Salem, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 21, 2023.
- Workshop: Arabic Manuscript Workshop, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 24-28, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Dilyara Agisheva (Harvard Law School), “The Entangled Legal Formations and the Russian annexation of Crimea in the 18th century,” Harvard Law School, May 2, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Fellowship: Robert M. Cover – Allard K. Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinical Fellowship, Yale Law School, 2023-2025, March 10, 2023.
- Call for Panels: Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD) 11th Biennial Conference, University of Ghana-Legon, March 15, 2023.
- Ottoman Summer School, Istanbul, Bilgi University, March 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, March 20, 2023.
- Position opening: Policy Specialist, UN Women (NY), March 20, 2023.
- Webinar: “Public Freedoms in the Islamic State,” with Rached Ghannouchi, Noah Feldman and Rushain Abbasi, Yale Law School, March 21, 2023.
- Conference: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, March 30-31, 2023.
- The Laura Bassi Scholarship, March 31, 2023.
- Conference: Policing Issues in the 21st Century, AALS, April 28, 2023.
- Global Academy Award, 2023-2024: The MESA Global Academy, May 1, 2023.
- Conference: Seventh Conference for Junior Researchers, The Law and Society Association at Stanford Law School (LSAS), May 5, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.