On Islamic Law
- Mohammad Fadel (University of Toronto Faculty of Law) reviews Rudolph Peters‘ Shariʿa, Justice and Legal Order (Leiden and Boston, MA: Brill, 2020) in the Journal of Islamic Studies.
- In “Historicity of Islamic Inheritance Law in Indonesia and Turkey” (El-Aqwal: Journal of Sharia and Comparative Law 2, no. 1 (2023)), Mega Puspita and Ahmad Rezy Meidina (UIN Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta) explore the “renewal in the field of Islamic family law regarding inheritance[,]” by comparing the applicable legal frameworks in Indonesia and Turkey.
- In “Between the Sacred and the Secular: Living Islam in China” (in The Sociology of Shari’a: Case Studies from around the World, Adam Possamai and others eds., 2nd ed.) Yuting Wang (American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates) writes that “[a]lthough the scope of such religious autonomy has become quite limited throughout time and was once revoked during the Cultural Revolution, Islamic law still plays important roles within Chinese Muslim communities mediating a wide range of conflict from marital problems to business disputes.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Islamic Perspective on Marketing Strategy Through Quantitative Strategic Planning Matrix (QSPM)” (Journal of Muslim Society Research 8, no. 1 (2023)), Sulasih (Jenderal Soedirman University) and others assess the success of marketing strategies from an Islamic law perspective.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Global Conference on Muslim Family Law Reform 2020, organized by Musawah, is available on the organization’s YouTube channel.
- Islamic Studies Databases and Indexes, compiled by the University of Texas libraries, provides “[a] list of subscription databases, both general and specific to Middle Eastern Studies, that may be useful for your research.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.