ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Islamic fintech, or iFintech, witnessed considerable growth recently, with Malaysia described as “the most robust ecosystem supporting the industry.”
- Online and mobile-first fintech companies, sometimes called “neobanks,” are increasingly offering sharī’a-compliant services, in a move to accommodate the needs of their Muslim clientele.
- While many Afghans continue to fear the harsh interpretation and application of Islamic criminal law by the Taliban, some have also commented that law enforcement under the Taliban is markedly less corrupt compared to the previous national police force “under the U.S-backed government of the past 20 years.”
- Afghan artists expressed concern over the Taliban‘s strict interpretation of permissible cultural production under Islamic law, with one artist noting, “[w]hen we paint a human being or an animal, the Taliban says we give life and spirit to a piece of paper.”
- A barber in Afghanistan‘s Helman province reported that the Taliban urged him and others to not trim beards, which the Taliban argue contravenes Islamic law.
- Islamic parties in Pakistan are pushing the country to recognize Afghanistan as the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan” – the name the Taliban prefer to use to refer to the country.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- COVID-19 restrictions have halted an Indian Muslim organization’s regular tours of mosques for non-Muslims – an arrangement that the organization hopes will decrease the communal tension between Muslims and Hindus in the country.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Medieval Islamic History, Harvard University, July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 15, 2021.
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Research Associate-Fixed Term, Department of History, Michigan State University. Deadline: Review of applications will start on October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Classical Islam, Brandeis University, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies. Deadline: Preference will be given to applications received by October 15, 2021.
- Call for Abstracts: 6th IDHN Conference, November 17, 2021. Deadline: October 15, 2021.
- Call for Applications: Usul Academy Honors Program in Comparative Islamic Studies, Fall 2021. Deadline: October 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor Specializing in Middle Eastern or North African History, University of Dayton, Ohio, History. Deadline: October 18, 2021.
- Call for Applications: Research Associate – PersDoc Project, Oxford University. Deadline: October 22, 2021.
- Call for Papers: “The X Islamic Legal Studies Conference,”International Society of Islamic Legal Studies (ISILS), London, May 19-21, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Legal Histories of Empire, Maynooth University, June 29 – July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor – Historian of Early Islam until 1250, University of Chicago, Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.