On Islamic Law:
- In “The Hoax in the ISIS Flag” (Newlinesmag.org, October 28, 2021), Ahmed El Shamsy (Chicago University) explains how a forged letter, presented by a French diplomat in the middle of the 19th century as the genuine writing of the Prophet, ended up finding its way on the ISIS flag – “the Islamic State fell for a long-debunked 19th century hoax,” as El Shamsy explains.
- In Arab Conquests and Early Islamic Historiography: The Futuh al-Buldan of al-Baladhuri (I.B. Tauris, 2020), Ryan J. Lynch (Columbus State University) discusses a ninth-century Muslim scholar’s Book of the Conquest of Lands, which “informs its audience of the major events of the early Islamic conquests, the settlement of Muslims in the conquered territories and their experiences therein, and the origins and development of the early Islamic state.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Influences on Islam-related News Content: Media Experts’ Perspectives” (SSRN, October 1, 2021), Isyaku Hassan (Sultan Zainal Abidin University, Malaysia) and others interview six experts from the media sector and find that “journalists’ prejudices, inadequate training, as well as media ownership are critical in the process of Islam-related news formation.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamhouse is a website dedicated to Islamic texts in Turkish.
- Insan ve Islam , literally “Humans and Islam” in Turkish, is a website dedicated to Islamic education in Turkish.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Conference: Harvard Graduate Student Conference on International History, Harvard University, Spring 2022. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- AALS Islamic Law Webinar with Simonetta Calderini – Women as Imams on November 12, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.