ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- In an interview with the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, Adnan Zulfiqar (Rutgers Law School) discussed his background and interest in Islamic law, including how that interest led him to be involved in penal code codification efforts for some Muslim-majority countries.
- Jacob Herzog, a Jewish Rabbi from New York, explained to the Wall Street Journal, his efforts to get permission from Saudi authorities to provide Jewish religious services in Saudi Arabia.
- Sukmawati Sukarnoputri, the daughter of Indonesia‘s first and founding president, has been reported to have converted from Islam to Hinduism.
- As more than 100 leaders from all around the world met in Glasgow to discuss pressing issues related to climate change, Islamic scholars have argued that taking action on climate change is an Islamic obligation.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- A Sūfī religious order in Morocco, called the Karkariya, finally gathered together, as coronavirus restrictions in the country have been gradually lifted.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Conference: Harvard Graduate Student Conference on International History, Harvard University, Spring 2022. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- AALS Islamic Law Webinar with Simonetta Calderini – Women as Imams on November 12, 2021.
- Webinar: Finding an Academic Job during the Pandemic, Association for Iranian Studies on November 12, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.