On Islamic Law:
- In Islamic Management Practices in Financial Institutions: Case Studies from Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance (Routledge 2021), Khaliq Ahmad (Putra Business School) “draws on a range of theoretical foundations, approaches and management practices that are culturally and jurisdictionally appropriate in several Muslim countries.”
- In Islamic Capital Markets: The Structure, Formation and Management of Sukuk (Routledge 2022), Imam Uddin (Institute of Business Management, Karachi) and others “offer a unique, in-depth, and up-to-date overview of Islamic banking and finance, capital markets, and sukuks at the grassroots level.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Violations of Islamic Law in Male–Female Relations: The Shifting of Nyubuk Tradition of the Customary Peoples of Lampung” (Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies 11, no. 1 (2022)), Suhairi (Institut Agama Islam Negeri Metro Lampung, Indonesia) and others “examine how nyubuk, a cultural [and Islamic law-compliant] medium for communication that has traditionally been used in spouse selection, has shifted as social media has become widely available. “
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamicate Texts Initiative is a repository of tools and texts in Islamic digital humanities.
- Harvard Center for Geospatial Mapping is a tool to create geospatial mapping from historical texts.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Lecture on Comparative Law: “Metacanons: Comparative Textualism at SCOTUS and in Islamic Law” by Intisar Rabb, UC Berkeley Law, April 13, 2022.
- Conference: Harvard Graduate Conference on International History, CON-IH, April 16, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.