On Islamic Law:
- In “Shari’a On Intellectual Property In Arab Countries – Economic Analysis” (Mondaq, May 30, 2022), Sonakshi Pandey (Khurana & Khurana) explains that, under Islamic law, “[t]he right to trademark protection has been interpreted by analogy as a private property right based on prior usage, which is governed by Islamic property laws.”
- In “Potential of Islamic socioeconomics and finance” (Daily Sabah, May 31, 2022), Jasmin Omercic (International Islamic University Malaysia) discusses “the potential of Islamic socioeconomics and finance in contemporary times,” with references to the Ottoman Empire.
- In an opinion piece entitled “Harmonisation of laws: It’s not complicated” (The Malaysian Reserve, May 31, 2022), Adnan Trakic (Monash University, Malaysia), focusing on the commonalities between Islamic law and the common law, argues that “[b]y highlighting the differences between the two, we inadvertently create an impression that the two systems of law are diabolically different to the point that their differences cannot be reconciled.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Muslim scholars are working to reconcile Islam and AI” (Wired, January 25, 2021), Sparsh Ahuja (Off the Record VR) explores the question of “whether using AI to prolong life is Islamically permissible.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- National Library of Tunis Catalogue is a searchable catalogue of the books available, both printed and in manuscript form, in the National Library of Tunis
- Bārūniyya Library of Djerba Catalogue is a catalogue, compiled in 1998, of the manuscripts present at the Bārūniyya Library in Djerba. Each entry includes the first few lines of the manuscript.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Position opening: Director, International Human Rights Program, University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Deadline is June 12, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Professor in the History of the Middle East and Muslim Africa, University of Bergen, June 12, 2022.
- Summer School 2022: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World. Deadline is June 17, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- AMECYS Book Award Announcement (copyright 2020, 2021), June 30, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.