ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- “Eid al-Adha is marked by special prayers and feasts and follows Eid al-Fitr which marks the end of Ramadan.”
- For many American Muslims, eid celebrations have served – and continue to serve – as a reminder of how important community is.
- “The Kerala High Court [India] has held that a Muslim mother cannot be the guardian of her minor child’s property.”
- “A 20-year-old woman in Sudan has been sentenced to death by stoning for adultery, marking the first known case in the northeast African country for a decade.” For a brief note on similarly harsh punishments, consult our editorial note on “New debates about the use and abuse of Islamic criminal law in Afghanistan.“
- “Ahmet Mete, who was recognized by Turkey but not by Greece as the elected muft[ī] for the Muslim population in the Xanthi region, died Thursday at age 57, his family said.”
- Islamic finance has been enjoying renewed impetus amid ESG growth, as investors are realizing “the synergy between ESG investments and Islamic finance, which prohibits interest.”
- The hereditary prince of Serbia opined that “Bitcoin and Sharia Law are harmonious” and speculated that some Arab nations were considering adopting Bitcoin. For more content and context on Islamic debates over the permissibility of using cryptocurrencies, consult the contributions by our Research Editor Raha Rafii here and here.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Following the pandemic, by some estimates, “[s]tronger economic growth in core Islamic finance countries is expected to boost industry assets about 10 per cent from 2022 to 2023.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Karamah: Virtual Law and Leadership Summer Program 2022, July 14 – August 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.