On Islamic Law:
- In “The Battle Over Family Law in Egypt Shows Only the Personal Can Be Political, And Then Only So Far” (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, July 12, 2022), Nathan J. Brown (Columbian College of Arts and Sciences), commenting on recent attempts to reform Egyptian personal law, argues that “[e]ven in Egypt’s constricted public sphere, family law is a subject of lively debate and lobbying—and the country’s leadership has promised a comprehensive new law.”
- In “Comparative study of moral foundations governing Islamic and Western human rights” (Journal of Eslamic Human Rights (2022)) Hossian Rahmanitirkalai compares and contrasts the moral foundations of Islamic and western human rights conceptions.
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “The Nature of Digital Product Transactions in the Legal System of the United States with an Approach to Islamic Jurisprudence and Iranian Law” (Contemporary Comparative Legal Studies, July 16, 2022), Gholamnabi Feyzi Chekab (Allameh Tabataba’i University) and Vahid Akefi Ghaziani (Shahid Beheshti University) discuss how legal transactions involving digital products fit within the broader legal system of the United States.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- LexisLogos Dictionary contains more than 30 dictionary links, with more than 30 links to other Arabic language learning and reference sources, news sites in Arabic, and links to important texts and literature in Arabic.
- Osmanlica Sözlük is an online Ottoman Turkish dictionary.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Karamah: Virtual Law and Leadership Summer Program 2022, July 14 – August 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.