ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Discussions to reform Egypt‘s personal status and family law have been ongoing for years, with competing political factions trying to wield influence over the reform process.
- International arbitration systems have been developing judicial standards to resolve complex Islamic finance disputes.
- Some pundits have argued that Justice Alito‘s reference to a fetus as an “unborn human being” (instead of the term “potential life” used by Roe v. Wade) signals a certain Christian understanding of conception, thus dangerously signaling “which religious voices get authority and power in our country.”
- “A group of queer Muslims in South Africa have rejected the South African Muslim Judicial Council’s new edict that condemns homosexuality as sinful and unIslamic.”
- Russia has been reported to have begun “drafting a new law to regulate Islamic banking in the country, a growing sector that could help state-run banks hit by Western sanctions to attract investors from Muslim-majority countries as well as cater to domestic customers.”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- “A local mosque [in Preston, UK] has shown its appreciation for the work undertaken by county services during the Covid-19 pandemic.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Karamah: Virtual Law and Leadership Summer Program 2022, July 14 – August 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.