On Islamic Law:
- In “Islamic Law in the globalised world” (Graphic Online, September 9, 2022), Dr. Salah Muhammad Salis (Centre for Islamic Thought and Civilisation) argues that Islamic law and sharī’a refer to different things, defining the latter as “a moral religious system, not a legal system.”
- In “The Transgender Persons (Protection Of Rights) Act 2018: A Shariah Appraisal of Self-Perceived Gender Identity and Right of Inheritance of The Transgender” (Competitive Educational Research Journal (CERJ) 2, no. 4 (2021)), Afrasiab Ahmed Rana (International Islamic University, Islamabad) and Hafiz Muhammad Siddique (Oxford University) assess Pakistan’s transgender legislation from an Islamic law perspective.
- In a brief note titled “ESG Finance and Islamic Finance” (JD Supra, September 15, 2022), K&L Gates LLP “looks at how Islamic finance is adopting environmental, social, and governance (ESG) standards to produce hybrid Sharia-compliant ESG products,” with an emphasis on “green sukuk.”
- Reza Idria, an assistant professor in social anthropology at Ar-Raniry State Islamic University Banda Aceh has joined the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center as a Lee Kong Chian NUS-Stanford Fellow. “During his LKC NUS-Stanford fellowship, he will turn his doctoral dissertation, ‘Tales of the Unexpected: Contesting Syari’ah Law in Aceh, Indonesia,’ into a book manuscript.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- “Introducing Islam is an initiative of The Islamic Information Center, Sultanate of Oman, which is a nonprofit organization under the support and guidance of The Sultan Qaboos Higher Center for Culture and Science. Its mission is to provide information on the teachings of Islam and its practices to non-Muslims and provide essential support to new Muslims who are residing in the Sultanate of Oman.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- MADAMIRA is a”fast, comprehensive tool for morphological analysis and disambiguation of Arabic.”
- The Open Islamicate Texts Initiative “is a multi-institutional effort led by researchers at the Aga Khan University’s Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations in London, Roshan Institute for Persian Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, and Universität Hamburg that aims to develop the digital infrastructure for the study of Islamicate cultures.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- SHARIAsource Lab Workshop :: Ibn ʿAsākir and His History of Damascus: Named Entity Recognition and Text Reuse, Sarah Savant. Register by September 23, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Conference: “The Theory and Practice of Rebellion in the Early Islamicate World,” Hamburg University, September 22-24, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Online panel: “Ukraine from Ottoman Times to Today,” MESA Global Academy, September 30, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The 233rd Meeting of the American Oriental Society 2023, October 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.