ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- While attention has been paid to Iran‘s morality police due to the recent protests there, scholars have also written about how the institution of the morality police manifests itself in jurisdictions other than Iran.
- “In a two-one majority ruling today, the Court of Appeal [of Malaysia] reversed a High Court’s previous declaration that a 37-year-old Selangor-born woman is ‘not a person professing the religion of Islam.'”
- “Expressing concerns about the current developments in Afghanistan, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has called on the Taliban to reconsider the decision to ban women from working for NGOs.” In the same meeting, “[r]eligious scholars said the caretaker government should consider the consultation of Muslim nations.” For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- Saudi Arabia‘s Minister of Human Resources and Social Development stated the country’s intention to eliminate discrimination in the labor force, adding “that the state protects human rights in accordance with the Islamic law, and facilitates areas of work for everyone who is capable of doing it.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Research Fellowships, 2023-2024, January 31, 2023.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Data Science Fellowships, 2023-2024, March 31, 2023.
- Conference: IDHN Conference on Shīʿī Ḥadīth and Legal Studies: Digital Perspectives, January 26, 2023.
- Fellowship: Center for Arabic Study Abroad, 2023-2024, January 30, 2023.
- The Abdallah S. Kamel Center at the Yale Law School Fellowship, 2023-2024, January 31, 2023.
- Call for Panel Sponsorship: MEM Panel Sponsorship at MESA 2023, February 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: MESA Annual Meeting 2023, Montréal, Québec, Canada, February 16, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Secularism as a Value, Princeton, New Jersey, March 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, March 20, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.