On Islamic Law
- In “Law, Society, and Religion: Islam and the West” (U. of Pittsburgh Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2023-28), Paolo Davide Farah (University of Pittsburgh) observes that “Islam is one of those that holds a great importance; it constitutes the world’s fastest growing religion, and it creates social and political rules that regulate its followers’ conduct.”
- In “Jihadism in the Italian Prison System: Some Critical Notes” (SSRN, July 21, 2023), Giancarlo Anello (University of Parma) takes issue with the notion that “[t]he words ‘jihād’ and ‘jihādism’ in the Italian language are often used as synonymous and associated with the phenomenon of radicalization of detainees in the prison system.”
- In “Al Hassan Symposium – ‘Islam Itself Is Not on Trial’: Culture and Religion in Al Hassan” (Lieber Institute, July 31, 2023), Julie Fraser (Netherlands Institute of Human Rights) unpacks the case of The Prosecutor v. Al Hassan Ag Abdoul Aziz Ag Mohamed Ag Mahmoud pending before the International Criminal Court, arguing that the case requires the ICC judges to acquaint themselves with, among others, Islamic law.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “The Use Of Ihtiyat Data In Prayer Time Hisab: Perspectives On Islamic Law” (2022, posted online, 2023) Sayful Mujab and Muslich Shabir engage in a computation of prayer times based on the positioning of the sun in order to determine the time periods during which the Islamic prayer can take place according to Islamic ritual law.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Researching Islamic Law – Malaysian Sources is a guide that features “authors with several years of experience and expertise in Malaysian Islamic law, who have compiled a comprehensive list of Malaysian Islamic law resources.”
- Islamic Law is curated by “the Peace Palace Library, based in The Hague, [and] is one of the oldest and most prestigious libraries for international law. Naturally, the strength of this guide lies in its focus of Islamic law in the public international law context, in addition to the standard materials.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: Middle East Beyond Borders – Fall 2023, August 18, 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.