Deadline: August 15, 2017
The Middle East Studies Association invites submissions of graduate student research papers on any aspect of post 600 CE Middle East studies for the 2017 Graduate Student Paper Prize. The author of the winning paper will be presented with a certificate and $250 cash award at the Awards Ceremony at MESA’s annual meeting in Washington, DC. In addition, the paper can be submitted for publication in the Review of Middle East Studies (RoMES).
Papers will be reviewed using a blind process so the author’s name should NOT be included on the title page, footer, or header. Papers will be evaluated according to originality of research and conceptualization (or interpretation), cogency of argument, and clarity of writing.
2017 Submission rules:
- Complete the submission form and provide proof of graduate student status by asking a faculty member to send in a statement (since it is a blind review it can be sent via email) verifying that the paper was written as a graduate student and was produced between June 30, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
- The Author’s name must not appear anywhere on the paper.
- The paper must not exceed 7500 words (excluding bibliography/endnotes).
- The paper must never have been submitted for publication (nor will be throughout the duration of the competition).
The paper needs to use the following format:
- 8 ½ x 11 paper
- Standard font (such as Arial or Times Roman)
- 25” margins
- Black and white
- IJMES standards for endnotes
For additional information contact Rose Veneklasen (email@example.com; phone 520-333-2577).