On Islamic Law:
- In “Islam through Objects” (Bloomsbury Academic, 2021), Anna Bigelow (ed.) (Stanford University) curates a collection of essays on objects in Islam and how these objects, including, for example, prayer beads, rugs, amulets, clothing, shed light on what the author terms “Islamic material culture studies.”
- In “Violence in Early Islam: Religious Narratives, the Arab Conquests and the Canonization of Jihad” (I.B. Tauris, 2021), Marco Demichelis (University of Navarra) argues, based on an examination of Qur’ānic text and various Prophetic sayings, that the common notion associating Islam with violent war may be misguided, and that “Christian Arabs who previously fought against the Persians may have had a formative effect on the later emergence of more bellicose rhetoric.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Research Trends in The Field of Islamic Social Finance” (SSRN, October 8, 2021), Jamila Abubakar and Ahmet Aysan (Hamad Bin Khalifa University) engage in “a bibliometric study of the literature in Islamic social finance” by “analy[zing] 595 articles, conference papers, and book chapters in Islamic social finance from 1991 to 2020 published in 262 Scopus indexed journals.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Afghanistan Digital Collections is a “[u]nique collection of documents related to Afghanistan history, culture, and its development during the Jihad period and more. ACKU’s permanent collection is the most extensive in the region covering a time of war and social upheaval in the country, with most of the documents in English or the principal languages of Pashto and Dari.”
- Islamic Sciences PDF Books (Kurandan Hayata), which literally means “From the Qur’ān to Our Lives,” is a Turkish-language site for books on Islam.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Papers: The Journal of Islamic Law, Program in Islamic Law at Harvard Law School. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Webinar: Paul Love on “Three Moons, Water Buffalo Skins, & Digital Codicology: Snapshots of Ibadi Muslim Manuscript Cultures in North Africa,” School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Al Akhawayn University, Morocco on October 22, 2021.
- Conference Panel: “An Islamic Version of The Dred Scott Problem: Has Slavery Always Been an Evil in Islamic Law or Have Juristic Sentiments Evolved?,” University of Wisconsin Law School on October 22, 2021.
- AALS Islamic Law “Half Baked” Ideas Workshop on October 22, 2021.
- Call for Applications: Research Associate – PersDoc Project, Oxford University. Deadline: October 22, 2021.
- Call for Papers: “The X Islamic Legal Studies Conference,”International Society of Islamic Legal Studies (ISILS), London, May 19-21, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Legal Histories of Empire, Maynooth University, June 29 – July 1, 2022. Deadline: October 31, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor – Historian of Early Islam until 1250, University of Chicago, Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- AALS Islamic Law Webinar with Simonetta Calderini – Women as Imams on November 12, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.