On Islamic Law
- In “The ICC and Traditional Islamic Legal Scholarship: Analysing the War Crimes Against Civilians” (in International Criminal Law: A Counter-Hegemonic Project, 2022), Fajri Matahati Muhammadin (Universitas Gadjah Mada) and Ahmad Sadzali (Universitas Islam Indonesia) argue that “if Islamic law has prescribed criminalization for international crimes up to a standard which is at least on par with what international law requires, this would mean at least that (a) there would be no reason for the ICC to not refer to Islamic law resources, and (b) Muslim states/groups who implement it would not need to refer cases to the ICC due to the complementarity principle.”
- In “Preconditions and Suggestions for Islamic Finance to Generate Sustained Economic Growth” (in Contemporary Issues in Islamic Law, Economics and Finance, 2022) Murat Cizakca (Karatay University) explores how Islamic finance can help generate sustained economic growth.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Analysis of the Implementation of Sharia Compliance on Buddhist Employees in Increasing Sharia Banking Capacity at Islamic Bank” (Indonesian Journal of Islamic Studies (2022)) Fathiya Kada-Sae and Fitri Nur Latifah (Universitas Muhammadiyah Sidoarjo), using qualitative research methods including interviews, discuss their “research on sharia compliance with Buddhist employees who work at the Islamic Bank of Thailand.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Nuṣūṣ “is a corpus of digitized Arabic texts designed to fill gaps in extant digital corpora. Originally a collection of early Sufi and Sufi-adjacent texts, nuṣūṣ has since expanded to include early works on kalām, falsafa, and Christian theology. Through this website, users can: browse text metadata, including author biographies; read these works online; and, most importantly, search the contents of texts in the corpus. Soon, the digitized versions of these texts will be made available to download for individuals to use for computational textual analysis or other interests.”
- Shari’a: Islamic Law in Historical Perspective, maintained by Vanderbilt University, provides a collection of article databases, journals, and other resources on Islamic law.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Professor of Persian Literature and Cultures, Harvard University, January 6, 2023.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Research Fellowships, 2023-2024, January 31, 2023.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Data Science Fellowships, 2023-2024, March 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Workshop TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies), January 15, 2023.
- The Abdallah S. Kamel Center at the Yale Law School Fellowship, 2023-2024, January 31, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.