ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- The East Java branch of Indonesia‘s largest Islamic organizations, Nahdlatul Ulama, recently announced its fatwā that forbid the use of cryptocurrency as ḥarām under Islamic law.
- A wedding in Afghanistan‘s Nangarhar province turned deadly as the Taliban reportedly shot three attendees over an argument on whether playing music was forbidden under Islamic law.
- The Taliban is reported to have asked Afghan farmers to pay zakāt on their land and harvests, while some farmers believe that it is impermissible for the Taliban to ask them to pay the zakāt, as they are poor and needy and should therefore be the recipients of zakāt payments.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Commenting on the difficulty of proving a religious exemption to employer-mandated vaccination requirements, John Grabenstein, an expert on vaccination studies, stated that “[n]one of the world’s major religions — Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, and Judaism — oppose vaccinations. In fact, it’s just the opposite.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Papers: The Journal of Islamic Law, Program in Islamic Law at Harvard Law School. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Call for Applications: The Reginald F. Lewis Fellowship for Law Teaching, Harvard Law School, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: November 12, 2021.
- Harvard-Yale Graduate Conference in Medieval History | January 2022 Call for Papers. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor – Historian of Early Islam until 1250, University of Chicago, Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations. Deadline: November 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Middle East History, Utah University, July 2022. Deadline: November 5, 2021.
- Call for Workshop: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, Summer 2022. Deadline: November 10, 2021.
- AALS Islamic Law Webinar with Simonetta Calderini – Women as Imams on November 12, 2021.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Modern Middle Eastern History, William & Mary University. Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Call for Papers: Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, February 3-5, 2022. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association Special Issue on Digital Ottoman Studies. Deadline: December 1, 2021.
- Position opening: Wesleyan University, Art and Art History: Assistant Professor, in the arts and material culture of Africa. Deadline: Applications completed by December 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.