On Islamic Law:
- In “Procedure of Criminal Appeal in the Light of Judicial Precedents” (Bahria University Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 4, no. 2 (2021)), Umar Farooq Tipu and Sajida Faraz (University of Swabi) discuss the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) of 1898 of Pakistan, with references to case law.
- In “Personal Laws in India: A Theoretical Investigation from the Perspective of Muslim Personal Law” (Journal of Law and Religious Affairs 1, no. 1 (2021)) Nizamuddin Ahmad Siddiqui discusses the theoretical role played by the state in codifying personal status laws, with a particular reference to India and its Muslim Personal Status Law.
On Islam and Data Science:
- The Digital Orientalist announced the Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, which will take place on June 25, 2022.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Kutuby is a website that serves as a database for textbooks from the Saudi ministry of education.
- Oxford Text Archive is a “repository of full-text literary and linguistic resources,” with “[t]housands of texts in more than 25 languages.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: Data Science Fellow, Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Staff Attorney, The Center for Constitutional Rights. Deadline: March 18, 2022.
- 12th Annual Donald C. Clark Jr. Endowed Law and Religion Lecture: Adnan A. Zulfiqar & Ngugi wa Thiong’o, March 25, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director for Research, The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University. Deadline: April 1, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Lecture on Comparative Law: “Metacanons: Comparative Textualism at SCOTUS and in Islamic Law” by Intisar Rabb, UC Berkeley Law, April 13, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.