ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- In its largest execution ever, Saudi Arabia put 81 people to death, convicted of various crimes, including rape and murder, despite the Crown Prince‘s earlier statements that the death penalty would not be used liberally by the courts.
- The Supreme Court of Pakistan recently ruled that a father’s gift of immovable property to his son could not be revoked under Islamic law.
- On the recent hijāb ban controversy at public universities in an Indian state, the Karnataka High Court (India), in upholding the ban, ruled that hijāb is not an essential religious practice in Islamic law.
- To mark International Women’s Day, in comments received with widespread skepticism, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid commented: “The Islamic Emirate is committed to upholding the Sharia rights of all Afghan women.”
- After he issued a decree to regulate the loudspeakers at mosques around the country, Indonesia‘s Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas came under intense scrutiny by some Islamic groups who have accused him of insulting Islam.
- Azerbaijan adopted new laws that transfer the power to appoint imāms from the Caucasian Muslim Board to the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations.
- The 8th African Islamic Finance Summit will be held in Brikama (Gambia) on March 23-25, 2022.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- “The Sultan of Perak, Sultan Nazrin Shah said he would seek the views and advice of the relevant parties before coming up with guidelines on religious activities during Ramadan[,]” in coming up with COVID-19 guidelines.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: Data Science Fellow, Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- 12th Annual Donald C. Clark Jr. Endowed Law and Religion Lecture: Adnan A. Zulfiqar & Ngugi wa Thiong’o, March 25, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director for Research, The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University. Deadline: April 1, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Lecture on Comparative Law: “Metacanons: Comparative Textualism at SCOTUS and in Islamic Law” by Intisar Rabb, UC Berkeley Law, April 13, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.