ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- News agencies have reported that “Saudi Arabia is planning to amend its draft Civil Transactions Law by proposing equal blood money for men and women as well as Muslims and non-Muslims in the kingdom.”
- Advocate Ashwini Upadhyay, who has challenged the Places of Worship Act of 1991, argued that “a mosque constructed on temple land cannot be a mosque, not only for the reason that such construction is against Islamic law, but also on grounds that the property once vested in the deity continues to be deity’s property.”
- Bilal Hazziez and Shaeeda Sween, a Muslim couple on season 9 of the popular American reality show, 90 Day Fiancé announced that they have performed a nikāh, the Muslim religious marriage.
- An Intellectual Property Enterprise Court Decision (UK) found that the Muslim dating app “Muzmatch,” offering “a halal (i.e. in compliance with Islamic law) way for single Muslim men and women to meet a partner,” has infringed Match.com‘s registered trademarks.
- Commenting on and condemning the recent lynching of a Nigerian woman for allegedly blaspheming the Prophet, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, an Islamic scholar from the region, stated that the Prophet “was insulted and scorned but he never killed in retaliation.”
- The Taliban have ordered women news anchors to cover their faces while on TV. For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Elaborating on the recent decree requiring women news anchors to wear face veils, a Taliban spokesperson “suggested that a medical face mask, widely worn across the world since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, could be substituted for a face veil.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Award: Annemarie Schimmel-Foundation for Islamic Studies Research Award. Deadline is May 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Collections Curator, Aga Khan Documentation Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 1, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Gender as a Category of Analysis for the Study of the Medieval Middle East. Deadline is June 1, 2022.
- Legal Internship: ACLU Illinois, Fall 2022. Deadline is June 1, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Formation, Establishment, and Evolution of the Mālikī Madhhab, University of Laussane, June 4, 2022.
- Position opening: Director, International Human Rights Program, University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Deadline is June 12, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Professor in the History of the Middle East and Muslim Africa, University of Bergen, June 12, 2022.
- Summer School 2022: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World. Deadline is June 17, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- AMECYS Book Award Announcement (copyright 2020, 2021), June 30, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.