On Islamic Law:
- In Islamic Law in Circulation: Shafi’i Texts across the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean (Cambridge University Press, 2022), Mahmood Kooria (Universiteit Leiden and Ashoka University, India) “explores how certain texts shaped, transformed and influenced the juridical thoughts and lives of a significant community over a millennium in and between Asia, Africa and Europe,” with a focus on the Shāfī’ī school of jurisprudence.
- In “Complexity and Dissonance: Islamic Law States and the International Order” (International Studies Review 24, no. 1 (March 2022)), Emilia Justyna Powell (University of Notre Dame) “trace[s] Islam’s contributions to international law and argue[s] that international law and Islamic law share more similarities than they are given credit for.”
- In “Indonesia’s Supreme Court Judgment on Religious Clothing: Failing Women and Girls in Public Schools?” (Oxford Journal of Law and Religion 10, no. 3), Mohammad Ibrahim (Universitas Gadjah Mada) discusses the Indonesian Supreme Court decision that unanimously “struck down a joint ministerial decree prohibiting local governments and public schools from imposing religious clothing on female students, teachers, and staff.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “The role of customer satisfaction in mediating the effect of the evaluation of the bank’s compliance with Islamic law on the continuous intention to use Islamic banking among coastal communities” (E3S Web Conf. 339, 2022), Syafruddin Chan (Universitas Syiah Kuala, Indonesia) and others, using a sample of 200 respondents, explore what causes clients to continue to use the services of Islamic law-compliance banks in Indonesia.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Majles Digital Library offers full search capability of metadata, text, and digital resources relating to Islamic law, including pdfs of full manuscripts.
- Manuscript Catalogue of the National Library of the Kingdom of Morocco offers an index of the manuscripts available in the National Library, including microfilms. The site offers various indexes from different years, starting in 1921.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Formation, Establishment, and Evolution of the Mālikī Madhhab, University of Laussane, June 4, 2022.
- Position opening: Director, International Human Rights Program, University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Deadline is June 12, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Professor in the History of the Middle East and Muslim Africa, University of Bergen, June 12, 2022.
- Summer School 2022: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World. Deadline is June 17, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- AMECYS Book Award Announcement (copyright 2020, 2021), June 30, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.