On Islamic Law:
- In “Contributions of Medieval Muslim Scholars to the History of Economics and their Impact: A Refutation of the Schumpeterian Great Gap” (in A Companion to the History of Economic Thought, eds. Warren J. Samuels et al. (Blackwell Publishing, 2003)), Hamid S. Hosseini (University of Newcastle) “explains that medieval Muslim writers held a much more favorable view of economic activity and wealth accumulation than contemporary Christian thinkers.”
- In “Joseph Schacht’s Role in Changing the Status of Islamic Law in Nigeria” (Journal of Mediterranean Basin and African Civilizations 4, no. 1 (2022)), Daud Salman (Sakarya University, Turkey) looks at the influence of Joseph Schacht’s scholarly writing on the constitutionalization of Islamic law in Nigeria.
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Anthropology of Islamic Law as an Approach in the Practice of Buying and Selling Online” (Qawanin: Journal of Economic Syaria Law 6, no. 1), Doli Witro (UIN Sunan Gunung Djati Bandung) and others, taking what they call a “legal anthropology approach,” consisting of the study of norms and “practice of Muslims,” discuss online buying and selling practices in Indonesia from an Islamic law perspective.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Yale Law School’s Lillian Goldman Law Library‘s Islamic Law webpage offers a collection of primary and secondary sources relating to Islamic law.
- Boston College Law Library’s Islamic Law Research webpage curates a collection of primary and secondary resources on Islamic law.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Harvard Professor in the History of Modern Africa, Harvard University, September 19, 2022.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color, September 1, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- International Conference: Historicizing the Shiʿi Hadith Corpus, Leiden University, September 12-14, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.