ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- “Afghanistan had more than 300 female judges presiding over judicial departments that ranged from women’s issues to criminal and terrorism-related cases. Several hundred judges have since escaped to other countries, and some 70 female judges – if not more – are in hiding and unable to return to work.”
- Observers have reported that under Taliban rule it has become much more difficult for women to obtain a divorce. For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- “The Supreme Court [of Pakistan] has ruled that the second marriage of the mother cannot become a stand-alone reason to disqualify her right to custody.”
- “Islamic finance scholar Prof Dr Engku Rabiah Adawiah Engku Ali, Islamic and ethical finance entrepreneur Samina Akram and conventional banker turned financial platform founder Nadia Ismadi” have shown women’s increasing participation in Islamic finance.
- “Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE […] issued Law No. 17 of 2022 on the Endowment Foundation and the Management of Minors’ Funds in Dubai.”
- “Uganda‘s Finance Trust Bank on Thursday launched the country’s first Islamic Sharia compliant account called Halal.”
- Islamic Coin (ISLM), an emerging cryptocurrency that is Islamic law compliant, has been promoted by its founders as having the potential to compete with bitcoin, with a potential of $1 trillion in value. For more content and context on Islamic debates over the permissibility of using cryptocurrencies, consult the contributions by our Research Editor Raha Rafii here and here.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- The World Health Organization reported that “[t]he Islamic Republic of Iran’s new national influenza pandemic preparedness plan (IPPP) is comprehensive, multisectoral and multidisciplinary.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Seminar: Islamic Family Law in the UK by Javaid Rahman, GCNC Chambers, November 8, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Position opening: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Middle East History, The American University in Cairo, November 15, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, November 15, 2022.
- Webinar: “Improvised Forms: Body, Text, and Diagram in Saʿd al-Dīn Ḥamūya’s (d. 1252) Sajanjal al-arwāḥ” by Dr. Cyril Uy, November 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, University of Pennsylvania Law School, November 18, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director, The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, December 1, 2022.
- Webinar: “The Second Formation of Islamic Law in Premodern Transoxiana: Evidences of Manuscripts” by Dr. Lola Dodkhudoeva, December 6, 2022.
- The American University in Cairo: Graduate Program in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Fall 2023, December 15, 2022.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.