On Islamic Law
- In “Measuring Islamic Legal Philosophy and Islamic Law: a Study of differences, typologies, and objects of study” (El-Aqwal 2, no. 1 (2023)), Muhammad Fuad Zain and Ahmad Zayyadi (Universitas Islam Negeri Profesor Kiai Haji Saifuddin Zuhri Purwokerto) compare Islamic law and Islamic legal philosophy, with a focus on both fields’ objectives and methods.
- In “Origin and Development of Islamic Law in Central Asia” (International Scientific Research Journal, 4 no. 1 (2023)), Rakhmanov Abdumukhtor (Tashkent State University of Law), concluding that “Islam has become more than just a religion” in Centra Asia, traces the origins and development of Islamic law in the region.
- In “A Limited Liability Company’s Wealth Status in Islamic Law” (Uniska Law Review, 3 no. 2 (2022)), Fatika Sari (Master of Notary Faculty of Law Universitas Islam Indonesia) “focuses on the wealth of limited liability companies based on Islamic Law.”
- In “The Ruling Islamic Law About Food Additives And E-Numbering” (Journal of Positive School Psychology 7, no. 1 (2023)), Haris Ullah (The University of Agriculture DI Khan, Pakistan) and others draw attention to the importance of food labeling practices to ensure compliance with Islamic dietary law.
- In “Former judge Hishamudin on the Federal Constitution, justice and the judiciary” (The Edge Markets, March 11, 2023), Hafiz Yatim interviews Hishamudin on the state of the Malaysian judiciary.
- In “Opinion: This 1965 killing remains an American tragedy” (CNN, March 1, 2023), Peniel E. Joseph (The University of Texas at Austin) looks back at the murder of Malcolm X, describing him as an activist of grassroots Islam. For more context on Malcolm X and his engagement with Islamic law, consult our Editor-in-Chief Intisar Rabb’s introduction to the Roundtable on Islamic Legal History & Historiography entitled “Methods and Meaning in Islamic Law: Introduction.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “The Concept of Kafa’ah in the Marriage of the Sayyid Community Viewed from Islamic Law” (Ijtihad: Journal of Islamic Studies, 1 no. 1 (2023)), Putri Eka Ramadhani, relying on interviews, among other data collection methods, studies the concept of kafa’ah.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamic Studies by the Pollak Library provides “[a] general guide to Islamic Studies for faculty and students at Cal State Fullerton.”
- Law Databases by the Saint Louis University School of Law provides a list of databases on law, some with an Islamic law angle.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Haroun Rahimi (The American University of Afghanistan), “Taliban and Modernity,” Harvard Law School, March 21, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Abdulatif Finch, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, March 24, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Cheikh Anta Mbacke Babou, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, March 31, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Elizabeth Lhost (University of Wisconsin–Madison), Everyday Islamic Law and the Making of Modern South Asia, Harvard Law School, April 4, 2023.
- Seminar: “The Rule of Recognition and the Consolidation of the Maliki Madhhab in the 14th Century” by Mohammad Fadel, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 6, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Caitlyn Bolton, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 7, 2023.
- Prize: The Class of 1955/Robert T. Coolidge Undergraduate Thesis Prize in Medieval Studies, April 7, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Undergraduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Ayodeji Ogunnaike, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Zekeria Salem, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 21, 2023.
- Workshop: Arabic Manuscript Workshop, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 24-28, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Dilyara Agisheva (Harvard Law School), “The Entangled Legal Formations and the Russian annexation of Crimea in the 18th century,” Harvard Law School, May 2, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Call for Panels: Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD) 11th Biennial Conference, University of Ghana-Legon, March 15, 2023.
- Ottoman Summer School, Istanbul, Bilgi University, March 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, March 20, 2023.
- Position opening: Policy Specialist, UN Women (NY), March 20, 2023.
- Webinar: “Public Freedoms in the Islamic State,” with Rached Ghannouchi, Noah Feldman and Rushain Abbasi, Yale Law School, March 21, 2023.
- Conference: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, March 30-31, 2023.
- The Laura Bassi Scholarship, March 31, 2023.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Columbia University’s Sakıp Sabancı Center for Turkish Studies, 2023-2024, April 3, 2023.
- Prize Nomination: Biennial prize for best book on the medieval Middle East (ca. 500-1500 CE). The Board of Directors of Middle East Medievalists, April 15, 2023.
- Conference: Policing Issues in the 21st Century, AALS, April 28, 2023.
- Global Academy Award, 2023-2024: The MESA Global Academy, May 1, 2023.
- Conference: Seventh Conference for Junior Researchers, The Law and Society Association at Stanford Law School (LSAS), May 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 12(2), May 12, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.